How To Get Rid Of Dark Spots On Face?
Melanin is the chemical in our skin, which gives color to our body. Excess production of melanin in a particular area can lead to liver spots, freckles or any other kind of dark patches over the skin. Dark spots on face happen mainly due to skin damage. Hyper pigmentation or over secretion of melanin in the specific part of the face might be the major reason for it. Before knowing how to get rid of dark spots on face, we must know why this really happens. Most of the times, you can get rid of the dark spots by simple home remedies. In acute conditions, it is always better to consult a dermatologist.
First of all, it is always important to know the kind of dark spots that we have. Just like there are various factors which cause dark spots, there are different types of dark spots too.
- Lentigines: The exposure towards UV rays can cause dark spots. Mostly, people over the age of 60 have this issue. But even some younger people have sun related dark spots.
- Melasma: Hormonal fluctuations are the cause of this kind of dark spots. Women at their pregnancy stage or at their menopause have this. It can also be a side effect of birth control pills. It can even happen because of malfunctioning of thyroid glands.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH): As a result of trauma to the skin, PIH can appear on the skin. It can be caused by acne, psoriasis, burns and certain other skin care treatments that are hard on the skin.
Causes for Dark Spots on Face
- Hormonal Imbalance: At the time of pregnancy, over-pigmentation of the cells can happen due to hormonal imbalances.
- Hyper pigmentation: It happens when the skin gets damaged in a specific area. This indeed results in the over secretion of melanin in that area of skin, making it look darker.
- Skin disorders: Ageing can cause dark spots as the skin becomes incapable of reproducing readily, as in the earlier stages. To eliminate the damaged areas of the skin becomes more difficult at this stage.
- Excessive Sun Exposure: To protect the skin from UV rays due to excessive exposure towards the sun, the skin starts producing excess melanin. This in turn results in the creation of dark spots on the face.
- Acne Scars: Scars or acne might leave dark spots on the skin that fade with a slow pace.
- Liver Damage: When liver gets damaged, it can leave dark spots on face, as it becomes less effective to remove toxins from the cells.
How to get rid of dark spots on face? – Home remedies
Wearing sunscreen, while going outside on a sunny day, can block the UV rays from touching your skin. This prevents the formation of dark spots on your skin. It’s better, if you apply sunscreen cream, even during the colder weather conditions. If you can spend 30 minutes to apply sun screen cream generously on your face, it could enhance the effect of the cream. Also look out for those brands of sun screen which have zinc oxide and titanium oxide. They would be more effective and would give better results.
Vitamin E: Application of Vitamin E directly on to the face, before going to bed, provides the skin with plenty of antioxidants. For that you can open a capsule which contains Vitamin E and apply it directly to your face with dark spots.
Vitamin C: Intake of Vitamin C rich fruits can reduce the amount of production of melanin in your skin. For that you need to have oranges, lime, strawberries and other fruits which are rich in Vitamin C content.
Natural dark spot erasers
Castor oil: Daily, apply castor oil to the skin at least twice. This is capable of bleaching the dark spots to make it look lighter.
Aloe vera: Rubbing a piece of aloe vera on the dark spots, twice a day, can lessen the darkness of the spots on your face.
Milk: Using a cotton ball, dab milk onto the dark spot on your skin. Allow the milk to stay for 10 minutes before washing it. Trying this remedial measure for 6 weeks can help you to get rid of the dark spots.
Green Tea Extracts: Free radicals can be removed by applying green tea extract on to the face because it contains plenty of anti-oxidants to rejuvenate the skin.
Sandalwood Powder Mixture: Mixing sandal wood powder, glycerine and rose water in the form a paste and applying it gently on the face, can remove dark spots or age spots very easily. If you wish, you can also mix honey or milk, instead of rose water. Do it regularly and without any intervals, for better result.
Honey and Brown Sugar: Applying a mixture of brown sugar and honey on your face and then scrubbing the face is very effective in removing dark spots. Applying this every two weeks can remove the already built up dead skin cells which cause discoloration.
Lemon Juice: Just applying lemon juice can reduce the dark spots on the skin. It would be better, if you mix it up with cider vinegar or honey to make it more effective. This is a remedy which can be particularly applied for the dark spots caused by acne.
Medical Treatments for getting rid of dark spots
In this treatment, in the offending areas laser will penetrate which leads to the destruction of those cells, by the absorption of UV rays happens. After this treatment skin may look darker, but that would fade within a week and will reveal the clear, real skin of yours.
This therapy uses microscopic crystal particles and removes the layers of damaged skin, so that it looks fresh and new.
During the process of chemical peeling, the doctor will apply a mild acid concentration which is capable of removing the outer layers of the skin. Later, a neutralizer will be applied, so that the skin underneath doesn’t get affected by excess of melanin.
Any remedial measure mentioned here takes time and patience to remove the dark spots on your face. Proper care has to be given at the earliest, to see a better result. It is always good to add more fruits and vegetables to your diet to get a healthier and glowing skin.